Innovation doesn’t happen in silos.
We believe proximity breeds collaboration.
As the industry partnership engine of the Innovation Quarter, our iQ Labs leverage the unique, world-class academic, technology and business anchors that exist here and intentionally match them with industry and commercial partners with ideas they’re looking to advance into the marketplace.
Innovation Quarter is where collaboration happens. iQ Labs is how.
Beyond a traditional incubator or accelerator, iQ Labs helps generate partnerships not only through and within the physical boundaries of the Innovation Quarter, but also virtual partnerships with companies and organizations around the world. The end result? Partnerships that yield healthtech, community and regenerative medicine technologies and solutions that can improve the human condition.
By becoming a member of iQ Labs, you’ll gain concierge access to the top levels of leadership at Atrium Health, including Wake Forest Baptist Health and Wake Forest School of Medicine, ensuring that ideas are accelerated, deployed and scaled at a pace that meets your organization’s needs.
Our Focus Areas
Especially healthy aging, precision medicine, population health and virtual health technologies
Including health equity, entrepreneurship, education and training, and spatial justice
iQ Healthtech Lab
iQ Community Lab
iQ Healthtech Lab
iQ Healthtech Lab brings together the expertise of our world-class anchor academic institutions like Wake Forest School of Medicine, combining with commercial and consumer-minded partners and leveraging the power of our Atrium Health system to test, refine, scale and rapidly deploy healthtech solutions.
Key sectors within this lab include:
- Value & Health Transformation Sector: Using population health tools, research and approaches to produce insights and models that enable health systems and communities to move to value-based models of care.
- Healthy Aging Sector: Integrating technologies, exceptional aging & Alzheimer’s research, and innovative approaches to help people live longer and healthier.
- Virtual Health Sector: Using technology, behavioral economics, and process improvement to make access to high quality healthcare easier, including telehealth, virtual health and retail health delivery.
- Personalized Care & Precision Medicine Sector: Developing and refining novel approaches (such as genomics and humanoids) that take into account a patient’s genetic makeup to improve health, rather than a one-size-fits-all approach to medicine.
- Learning Systems Sector: Exploring and refining new opportunities, technologies and approaches for experiential learning and teaching through novel methods such as virtual learning.
For more information about iQ Healthtech Labs, contact Cassandra Klebig.
iQ Healthtech Lab Case Study
UPS Flight Forward
When UPS was looking for a new health system partner through which to test their new drone delivery platform, they turned to iQ Healthtech Lab, which helped facilitate collaboration between their Flight Forward division and leadership at Wake Forest Baptist Health. The result? A new pilot program that’s currently delivering infusion medication and lab samples across the health system, saving time and operational costs and gathering much-needed validation for UPS Flight Forward’s expanding innovation offerings.
The Regenerative Medicine Hub (RegenMedHub)
The Regenerative Medicine Hub (RegenMedHub) represents a collective of some of the leading academic, non-profit and for-profit organizations focused on advancing regenerative medicine solutions into the marketplace.
- WFIRM (Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine): Recognized as an international leader in translating scientific discovery into clinical therapies, WFIRM is part of Wake Forest School of Medicine and home to physicians and scientists who were the first in the world to engineer laboratory-grown organs that were successfully implanted into humans. Today, this interdisciplinary team that numbers about 400 is working to engineer more than 40 different replacement tissues and organs, and to develop healing cell therapies–all with the goal to cure, rather than merely treat, disease.
- ReMDO (RegenMed Development Organization): A 501(c)3 non-profit organization that manages a clinical translation initiative that includes thought leaders, representatives from leading US research centers, government representatives, and companies of all sizes. ReMDO conducts research to de-risk technologies and speeds up the translation of regenerative medicine to clinical practice and to the global market.
- RegeneratOR: Part of RemDO, the RegeneratOR initiative includes a testbed, incubator and workforce development, all designed for regenerative medicine start-ups and growth companies with new and emerging technologies.
For more information, email innovationquarter@wakehealth.
iQ Community Lab
iQ Community Lab is a partnership hub for ideating, developing and implementing breakthrough ideas in the space of health and social equity within and through the Innovation Quarter.
Key sectors within the lab include:
- Health Equity: Driving equal access to health care by evaluating and addressing social determinants of total health in individuals and the overall community.
- Inclusive Community: Building bridges and sharing resources between Winston-Salem neighborhoods in order to maximize more equitable, diverse and inclusive community for all.
- Startup & Small Business Scale: Improving access to tools, resources, funding and business opportunities for Minority and Women’s Business Enterprise (MWBE) businesses.
- Education & Training Pipeline: Improving access to education and workforce training resources and opportunities necessary to move people into higher-paying jobs.
- Spatial Justice: Studying and improving how spaces and places are designed and connected in order to maximize access to resources and activities for underserved populations.
For more information about iQ Community Labs, email Lindsey Schwab.
iQ Community Lab Case Study
Depot Street Renaissance Mural
Public art can be a powerful tool for creating an inclusive community. After the summer of 2020 which saw racial justice protests across the country, our iQ Community Lab commissioned the painting of a street mural depicting the vibrant Black entrepreneurial and business community that existed here in the mid 20th century. Anchor tenant Inmar Intelligence underwrote the mural, underscoring their ongoing commitment to promoting inclusiveness in the city of Winston-Salem.